The original wooden covered bridge was built in 1842, at a site formerly occupied by a ferry successively known as “Lowrytown Ferry”, “Burnt Mills Ferry” and “Milford Ferry”. The span closest to New Jersey was carried away by the flood of October 10, 1903 and was replaced by similar construction using timbers washed down from the Riegelsville Bridge during the same flood.
The existing bridge, constructed in 1933, is a three-span Warren truss structure, with a total length of 700 feet. The concrete-filled steel deck provides a clear roadway width of 20 feet between tri-beam guide rails. In 1996 a new galvanized plate sidewalk was added to the bridge and is supported on the upriver truss on steel cantilever brackets. Both abutments, recapped with reinforced concrete following flood damage, were originally built in 1842 with rubble-faced masonry. The piers, also built in 1842, are stone-filled and have been recapped with reinforced concrete.
The bridge is currently posted for 15 mile per hour speed limit with no weight limit restriction.