The original structure, constructed in 1869 as a vehicular bridge, was a four-span timber bridge reinforced with wooden arches. The entire structure was protected from the weather by a wooden shed surmounted by a slate roof.
On December 1, 1953, all vehicular traffic formerly using this structure was rerouted over the new Portland-Columbia Toll Bridge, constructed just south of the old bridge. The last of its kind on the Delaware River, three spans of this historical timber bridge floated off its piers during Hurricane Diane in August 1955. The present four-span continuous, thru-deck girder superstructure was constructed along with pier and abutment revisions in 1957-58. The former bridge lighting was removed and replaced in 1990 with high-mast lighting at each approach. In 1996, new approach guide rails and an ADA access ramp were added to the New Jersey side. More recently, in 1998, this pedestrian bridge, as well as the main river vehicular toll bridge, was blast cleaned and painted.