Originally constructed in 1856 as a vehicular bridge, the covered timber structure consisted of four spans across the Delaware River and one span over the Delaware Division Canal on the Pennsylvania side. The first span over the river was washed away by the flood of October 10, 1903 and was replaced in 1904 by a through steel truss bridge.
The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in February of 1944. In 1947, the superstructure was re-built on the original 1856 masonry substructure. The now pedestrian bridge is a five-span suspension structure. A major rehabilitation contract was completed in 1993 including a new deck slabs, pier and abutment repainting, new approach sidewalks and lighting.