The original bridge at this site was a covered, wooden structure of arch pattern. During the flood of October 10, 1903, the superstructure was carried away and the present steel structure was erected.
The existing bridge, constructed in 1904, is a four-span, riveted steel, double Warren truss structure, with a total length of 653 feet. The steel open-grate deck provides a clear roadway width of only 16-feet, 4-inches between tri-beam railings. That works out to around 8 feet wide per lane. A concrete-filled steel grating sidewalk is supported on the upriver truss with steel cantilever brackets.
The bridge is currently posted for a 15 mph speed limit and an 8-ton weight limit.