Opened to traffic on December 1, 1953, the main river bridge consists of a ten-span steel girder system with total length of 1,309 feet and a 32-foot curb-to-curb width. The substructures consist of reinforced concrete piers and concrete bin abutments.
A one-way toll plaza, located at the Pennsylvania approach, has three toll lanes. Tolls are collected in the westbound direction. The Commission also owns a pedestrian bridge 1000 feet north of the toll bridge, which is separately described under Toll Supported Bridges.