EWING, NJ – Warmer overnight temperatures later in the week are expected to allow for concrete deliveries and off-peak single-lane travel patterns in the Pennsylvania-bound direction on the current Scudder Falls (I-295) Bridge, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
Motorists using I-295 NB on the New Jersey side of the bridge are advised to allow additional time to reach their destinations or plan alternate routes on mornings when concrete deliveries take place for the new road deck atop the first span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge now under construction upstream of the current bridge.
The concrete pouring sessions are staged to take place between 2 a.m. and noon on intermittent weekday/Saturday mornings when sustained overnight temperatures above 35 degrees are forecast. The plan is for the current Scudder Falls Bridge’s right lane in the Pennsylvania-bound direction to be closed so concrete delivery trucks can unload their contents for the new bridge.
The full schedule of lane/ramp closures and detours for next week is as follows:
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Single-lane travel patterns possible 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, March 25, through Friday, March 29, 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day). Note: Within these time periods, single-lane travel is possible on the Scudder Falls Bridge for concrete deliveries 2 a.m. to noon Thursday, Tuesday, March 28, to Saturday, March 30.
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) on Monday, March 25, through Friday, March 29.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until late June:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 25, to Friday, March 29.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 25, to Friday, March 29; AND OVERNIGHT closure with posted detour 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, March 25, through Thursday, March 28. Note: Motorists seeking access ramp to I-295 SB (old I-95 NB) should use the new on-ramp off the downstream roundabout at the nearby Route 29/I-295 interchange.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction/demolition along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, March 25 to Saturday, March 30. Note: Possible concrete deliveries on the bridge mornings of Thursday, March 28, to Saturday, March 30.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, March 25, to Friday, March 29.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 25, to Friday, March 29.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 25, to Friday, March 29.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 25, to Friday, March 29.
Weekends: Aside from any Friday overnight travel restrictions extending into Saturdays, the overnight restrictions at NJ Route 175/River Road, and the uninterrupted 24/7 ramp closures on the upstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange, no other lane closures and detours are scheduled for the weekends of March 23-24 and 30-31.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
NJ side – UPDATE – Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey are extended to occur through April. (Closures needed for overhead girder installation and bridge deck construction. Note: Towpath will be accessible for opening day of fishing season Saturday, April 6.
PA side – Occasional weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania until June – but open on weekends.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.