EWING, NJ – NJ Route 175/River Road on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge is scheduled to be closed with posted detours during overnight hours Monday through Friday of next week, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The corresponding on-ramp to I-295 SB (old I-95 NB) also will be closed. Motorists are advised to use the recently opened downstream roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 to access a new elevated on-ramp to I-295 SB.
The closures and detour will enable work crews to begin demolishing portions of the old approach bridge that carried I-295 across Route 175/River Road and the nearby Delaware and Raritan Canal.
The full schedule of project-related travel restrictions for the week of Dec. 2 is as follows:
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns possible during off-peak/overnight hours for construction along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, Dec. 3, through Friday, Dec. 7.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, to Friday, Dec. 7.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, to Friday, Dec. 7.
- Woodside Road (west of Taylorsville Road to around Clearview Drive) – Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, to Friday, Dec. 7.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent stoppages and alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, to Friday, Dec. 7.
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Dec. 3, through Friday, Dec. 7.
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Dec. 3, through Friday, Dec. 7.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel may be implemented approximately 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, to Friday, Dec. 7. Also, OVERNIGHT closures and detours – including the on-ramp to Route 295 SB – 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Dec. 3, to Thursday, Dec. 6, and 10 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, to 7 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8. Route 29 SB motorists seeking access to I-295 SB should proceed to the downstream roundabout at the I-295/Route 29 interchange and use the turnoff for the access ramp to I-295 SB.
Weekends: Aside from carryover of any Friday overnight travel restrictions, no lane closures are scheduled currently for the weekends of Dec. 1-2 and Dec. 8-9.
Canal Towpaths: Portions of the canal towpaths on the New Jersey and Pennsylvania sides of the Scudder Falls Bridge are scheduled to be closed weekdays through Dec.14.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.