EWING, NJ – A series of ramp closures and detours are scheduled to occur during overnight hours next week at the I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76, Old Exit 1) on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The ramp closures are needed to carry out facets of the 4-1/2-year-long Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project.
Weather permitting, two traffic movements at the interchange will be subject to detours 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) starting Monday, Aug. 6, and continuing through Monday, Aug. 13. They are as follows:
- I-295 South (old I-95 North) ramp to Route 29 North – follow detour to next exit (Bear Tavern Road/CR-579, Exit 75/Old Exit 2), crossover I-295, and proceed onto I-295 North back to Exit 76 for ramp onto Route 29 North (Click HERE for map PURPLE ROUTE). Note: The exit ramp for Route 29 south from I-295 South will remain accessible at the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76, Old Exit 1).
- NJ Route 29 North access to on-ramp for I-295 into Pennsylvania across the Scudder Falls Bridge – detour onto I-295 South, proceeding to next exit (Bear Tavern Road/CR-579; Exit 75/Old Exit 2), crossover I-295, and proceed onto I-295 North across Scudder Falls Bridge into Pennsylvania (Click HERE for map GREEN ROUTE).
During the nightly ramp closures, the Route 29 northbound interchange bypass lanes will remain open to traffic. Route 29 southbound traffic movements through the interchange also will not be affected by the closures and detours.
The remaining schedule of Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement travel restrictions for the week of Aug. 5 will be in Pennsylvania and area as follows:
- I-95 north from the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 6, through Friday, Aug. 10.
- I-95 south from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (exit 49) – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 8 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 6, through Friday, Aug. 10.
- Woodside Road (west of Taylorsville Road to around Clearview Drive) – Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 6, to Friday, Aug. 10.
- Taylorsville Road in vicinity of I-95 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 6, to Friday, Aug. 10.
- River Road/Route 32 – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel with traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 6, to Friday, Aug. 10.
Weekends: Aside from the aforementioned overnight ramp closures at the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76, Old Exit 1) and carryover of Friday overnight closures into Saturdays, no other travel restrictions are scheduled for the weekend of Aug. 11-12.
Delaware Canal Towpath on PA side of Scudder Falls Bridge: The towpath for the Delaware Canal in Pennsylvania remains closed around the clock Mondays through Saturdays in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project construction zone (from Woodside Road to the southern project limits). Public access is Sundays-only through August.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.