Traffic has now been shifted to the outside of the roadway (right lane and shoulder) along both directions of I-95 between the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) and the Scudder Falls Bridge. The traffic shift will now allow for earthmoving, drainage installations, and eventual roadway widening in the highway median – one of the major elements of the multi-faceted Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project.
With the traffic shifts established, motorists should anticipate that there will be intermittent off-peak single-lane travel patterns in both the northbound and southbound directions on a regular basis as project construction progresses over the next four years.
(Note: Two travel lanes will be provided in a respective peak travel direction during weekday commuting periods: 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. along I-95 northbound and 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. along I-95 southbound. The aforementioned two-lane travel periods apply to the PA I-95 segment, the Scudder Falls Bridge and the NJ I-95 segment between the bridge and the Route 579/Bear Tavern Road interchange (Exit 2).)
Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations when traveling I-95 through the project area regardless of the time of day due to lane closures, traffic shifts, narrowed travel lanes with adjacent concrete construction barriers, and movements of construction equipment. Backups and delays are possible at any time. Motorists should reduce speeds and exercise caution whenever traveling through the various active work zones.
The full schedule of project-area travel restrictions for the week of August 6 are as follows:
- I-95 north – Intermittent single-lane travel from the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Monday, Aug. 7 through Friday, Aug. 11.
- I-95 south – Intermittent single-lane travel from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49), 8 p.m. to 2 p.m. (following day) Monday, Aug. 7, through Friday, August 11.
- Woodside Road west of Taylorsville Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel controlled by flaggers 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 7 through Friday, Aug. 11.
- River Road/Route 32 – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 7 to Friday, Aug. 11.
New Jersey side
- Route 175/River Road – Alternating single-lane travel in the vicinity of the I-95 overpass 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 7 through Friday, Aug. 11.
Weekends: PSE&G utility crews are expected to work along Route 175/River Road in Ewing, N.J. this weekend Saturday, Aug. 5, and Sunday, Aug. 6 with alternative single-lane travel 7 a.m. to about 5 p.m. each of those days. No work is current scheduled for Aug. 12-13.
The scheduled travel restrictions listed above are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and project mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to reduce speeds and exercise caution when traveling through active work zones.
Project Construction Update
Construction activities related to the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project have expanded to multiple work sites within the 4.4 project area between two states. The preponderance of work takes place during daytime hours, but some activities must be conducted during nighttime hours due to traffic/safety considerations. Current work locations and activities are as follows:
- Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) – Excavation and construction of storm-water retention basin with corresponding drainage and erosion-control devices in the sprawling infield of the northbound I-95 exit ramp.
- I-95 northbound PA segment – Installation and anchoring of concrete construction barrier along entire left side of shifted traffic pattern.
- PA I-95 highway median – Removal of top soil and early-stage excavation for areas needing retaining wall.
- Taylorsville Road/Yardley-New Hope interchange (Exit 51) – Temporary entry lane from Taylorsville Road southbound to I-95 north in effect; drainage basin construction.
- Woodside Road (Lower Makefield, PA) – Top soil removal and excavation for roadway widening west of Taylorsville Road.
- Pennsylvania side of replacement bridge (vicinity of River and Woodside roads) – Continuing construction of bulkhead/launching point for temporary trestle causeway that will be used to install temporary cofferdams for new bridge piers in the Delaware River; mobilizing materials and equipment for Pennsylvania trestle causeway, the Pennsylvania abutment for the upstream span of the replacement bridge and exit ramp piers; installing drilled shafts and steel piles for abutment and piers.
- New Jersey side of replacement bridge – Land-based portion of temporary trestle causeway nearing completion; mobilizing equipment and materials for extending trestle causeway into the river and installing cofferdam for land-based New Jersey pier; and mobilize for support of excavation and piling at the New Jersey abutment for upstream span of the new bridge.
- I-95/Route 29 interchange (Exit 1) – Earthwork activities for various temporary ramps and install temporary drainage and erosion-control devices at various locations within in the interchange.
- Route 175/River Road (Ewing, NJ) – Utility relocation work in the vicinity of the I-95 approach bridge to the current Scudder Falls Bridge and the nearby onramp to I-95 northbound.
- I-95 southbound NJ segment – Excavation/drilling work for additional noise-abatement walls along the roadway.