The anticipated shifting of northbound travel lanes along I-95 between the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) and the Scudder Falls Bridge has been rescheduled for Wednesday, August 2, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
This is the second postponement of the lane shift, a linchpin preparation to allow for roadway widening work in the highway median along the Pennsylvania I-95 approach to the Scudder Falls Bridge. Recent rainy weather has forced the delays.
When implemented, the lane shift will restrict northbound traffic to two 11-foot-wide lanes without shoulders. The northbound lanes currently are 12-feet wide.
The temporary configuration will remain in effect 24/7 for up to a year. (A corresponding shift of the southbound lanes was implemented earlier this month.)
The lane shift implementation is expected to take up to 20 hours to complete, beginning after 10 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 2 and ending by 6 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 3. The setup of the new pattern will entail line striping and some paving. (More information will be provided early next week.)
Elsewhere in the project area, the following travel restrictions currently are scheduled for the week of July 30:
- I-95 north – Single-lane pattern possible from the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Monday, July 31, through Friday, Aug. 4; traffic shift to be implemented daytime hours Wednesday, Aug. 2.
- I-95 south – Single-lane pattern possible from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49), 8 p.m. to 2 p.m. (following day) Monday, July 31, through Friday, August 4.
- Woodside Road west of Taylorsville Road – Alternating single-lane patterns with flaggers 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, July 31 to Friday, Aug. 4.
- River Road/Route 32 – Alternating single-lane patterns with flaggers 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, July 31 to Friday, August, 4.
New Jersey side
- Route 175/River Road – full closure in the vicinity of the I-95 overpass 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Tuesday, Aug, 1 through Thursday, Aug 3; and alternating traffic pattern 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday, Aug 1 to Friday, Aug. 4. Note: On-ramp to I-95 northbound will be inaccessible during the overnight closure periods; detour routes posted for affected motorists. (The work along Route 175/Road Road is for underground relocation of utility lines and is expected to resume after this week and continue into late August.)
- Deceleration lane from I-95 south to Route 29 (Exit 1) – Restricted pattern possible (with exit open) midnight to 4 p.m. Monday, July 31, and 6 p.m. to 4 p.m. (next day) Monday, July 31 through Friday, August, 4.
- I-95 northbound – single lane closure (two of three travel lanes open) possible 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, July 31 to Friday, Aug. 4.
Weekends: No work is currently scheduled for July 29-30 and Aug. 5-6.
The scheduled travel restrictions listed above are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and project mobilization considerations Motorists are urged to reduce speeds and exercise caution when traveling through active work zones.
Due to changing travel patterns, narrower lane configurations and possible traffic queuing at some locations, motorists are encouraged to allow extra time to reach their destinations when traveling I-95 through the project work zone.