LOWER MAKEFIELD, PA – Weather permitting, NJ-bound travel at the Scudder Falls (I-295) Bridge will be restricted to a single lane during the peak morning commuting periods on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week.
The right NJ-bound lane at the Scudder Falls Bridge will be closed to allow work crews to pour concrete onto the deck of the adjacent downstream bridge span that is expected to be completed and opened to traffic later this summer.
The resulting single-lane travel pattern is likely to impact the bridge’s NJ-bound peak morning commuting period — 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. — on Tuesday, June 8; Wednesday, June 9; Thursday, June 10; and Friday, June 11. Two-mile-long backups with corresponding travel delays of more than 30 minutes are up to an hour are possible on I-295 eastbound approaching the bridge from Bucks County, PA.
Also this week, NJ Route 175/Upper River Road on the Ewing side of the bridge is set to be closed to through traffic around-the-clock from 6 a.m. Monday, June 7, to 5 p.m. Friday, June 11. The continuous closure is need for roadway reconstruction and paving work.
The full schedule of anticipated Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project travel restrictions for the week of June 6 follows:
New Jersey side
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road in the vicinity of the I-295 overpass – Uninterrupted closure with detour via nearby Route 29 6 a.m. Monday, June 7, to 5 p.m. Friday, June 11. Local access will be maintained from Route 29 to the north and CR-634/West Upper Ferry Road during the through-traffic closure.
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, June 7, to Friday, June 11.
- I-295 SB – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, June 7, through Friday, June 11.
- Route 29 NB – Potential short-term stoppages and flagging 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, June 7, to Friday, June 11.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295. ALSO, periodic traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers may be necessary in the detour area Tuesday through Friday.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road entry ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (NJ-bound) – Single-lane travel (one of two lanes closed) midnight to 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 8, to Friday, June 11; severe backups/delays likely during peak morning commuting periods 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Also, possible intermittent off-peak single-lane travel Monday, June 7 between 10 a.m. and midnight.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) west of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted west of the bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, June 7, through Friday, June 11.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 7, to Friday, June 11.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, June 7, to Friday, June 11.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages possible in the vicinity of where River Road/PA Route 32 crosses beneath the Scudder Falls (I-295) Toll Bridge, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday, June 7, to Friday, June 11.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
- Closure of the NJ Route 29 SB bypass lane beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in New Jersey remains in effect. NJ-bound single-lane restriction on bridge Saturday morning, June 5; no other project-related lane closures are scheduled for June 5-6 or 12-13.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Towpath closures are not anticipated during June.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Daily closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays through June. These restrictions – when implemented – will allow for construction of a connecting path and access ramp to the shared-use bike-ped facility that is expected to open on the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in fall 2021. Canal path open on weekends.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.