The Commission’s toll-violation fee structure mirrors what is charged by other toll-industry agencies nationally and regionally. The Commission’s fees are intended to help cover the costs of the toll-violation collection process so that the cost burden does not get shifted onto law-abiding toll payers.
Violators under the DRJTBC’s toll-enforcement system are required to pay the toll. Toll evasion is a public, strict liability and vicarious liability violation. The following are not legal defenses or mitigating factors:
- The violation notice wasn’t mailed sooner;
- The driver did not intend to miss the payment or go through an E-ZPass lane;
- Someone else was driving the vehicle.
Information on a registered vehicle owner who fails to respond to mailed requests for payment will be forwarded to a collection agency. Under state laws, registered vehicle owners are responsible for any toll violations regardless of who was driving at the time.
Violations Process Center
A customer who receives a violation notice should follow the instructions on the notice. To dispute or clarify the information on the notices, the Violations Processing Center may be reached as follows.
- Information Website: www.ezpassnj.com
- Processing Center Representative: 1-973-368-1425
- Toll-free Phone number: 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865)
Please mail violation disputes or violation payments to:
E-ZPass Violations Processing Center
P.O. Box 4971
Trenton, NJ 08650