The bridge is a twelve-span, simply supported composite steel girder and concrete deck structure with an overall length of 1,324 feet. The granite-faced piers and abutments are reinforced concrete.
Originally constructed by the Commission in 1952 as a four-lane facility, the structure was widened to six lanes in 1965 for a total curb-to-curb width of 62 feet. In 1983 an aluminum median barrier was erected across the bridge, creating three southbound and two northbound lanes.
The one-way toll plaza, located at the Pennsylvania approach, has six toll lanes. Tolls are collected in the westbound direction.