EWING, N.J. – The Route 29 SB lane that bypasses the two roundabouts and ramps within the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) could be reopened to traffic for the first time in 20 months during overnight hours on Nov. 5.
The bypass lane was barricaded in late February 2020 to allow for construction of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s second parallel span and a variety of other project tasks. The traffic lane most recently underwent complete reconstruction as part of the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project.
To bring the reconstructed bypass lane online, the interchange’s northern roundabout and ramps will be closed and detoured from 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 5, to 6 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 6.
Once the bypass lane is put back into service, work crews can shift their attention to other remaining project tasks – notably the reconstruction and paving of the two connector lanes between the interchange’s flanking roundabouts. That work is expected to begin the following week, starting on or about Nov. 8.
Later next week, the progression of final highway paving is expected to advance to the right lanes and shoulders of I-295 in the vicinity of the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10). This will necessitate fluctuating overnight closures of interchange ramps leading to and from the highway. Posted detours will be via I-295’s nearby PA Route 332/Newtown-Yardley Road interchange (Exit 8).
As per the project construction contract, temporary lane closures will be suspended during polling hours on Tuesday (Election Day), ending at 8 p.m.
Meanwhile, the full schedule of possible project-related travel restrictions for the upcoming week of Oct. 31 is as follows:
New Jersey side
- I-295 SB – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel 10 a.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday; 8 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday; and 10 a.m. to 5 a.m. (next day) Wednesday through Friday.
- I-295 NB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel 6 p.m. Monday to 6 a.m. Tuesday; 8 p.m. Tuesday to 3 p.m. Wednesday; and 6 p.m. to 3 p.m. (next day) Wednesday through Friday.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295. This closure is expected to end during overnight hours on Friday, Nov.5.
- I-295/Route 29 interchange’s northern roundabout – OVERNIGHT closure with posted detour for affected ramps 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Friday and Saturday. Affected motorists are advised to follow posted detours.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road – DAYTIME closure with detour via nearby Route 29 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday; and 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday to Friday.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road entry ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing into November. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB. (UPDATE: This closure is now projected to end on or about Nov. 15.)
- I-295/Taylorsville Road Interchange (Exit 10) – OVERNIGHT – Motorists are advised to follow posted detours for the following ramps, dates and times::
- Off-ramp from I-295 EB to Taylorsville Road closed and detours 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Thursday and Friday;
- On-ramp from Taylorsville Road southbound (Yardley-bound direction) to I-295 EB/SB (NJ-bound direction) closed and detour 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Friday, Nov. 5, to Monday, Nov. 8;
- On-ramp from Taylorsville Road southbound (New Hope-bound direction) to I-295 EB/SB (NJ-bound direction) closed and detour 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Friday, Nov. 5, to Monday, Nov. 8.
- I-295 EB and Scudder Falls Bridge (NJ-bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel 10 a.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday; 8 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday; and 10 a.m. to 5 a.m. (next day) Wednesday through Friday
- I-295 WB – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern 6 p.m. Monday to 6 a.m. Tuesday; 8 p.m. Tuesday to 3 p.m. Wednesday; and 6 p.m. to 3 p.m. (next day) Wednesday through Friday.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages possible in the vicinity of where River Road/PA Route 32 crosses beneath the Scudder Falls (I-295) Toll Bridge, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday; and Wednesday to Friday.
- Woodside Road from River Road to Park-n-Ride Lot – Potential short-term stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday; and Wednesday to Friday.
All aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Weekends – Aside from the northern roundabout closure during overnight hours on Nov. 5-6, no other project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekends of Oct. 30-31 and Nov. 6-7.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Around-the-clock closure of the towpath segment in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge and its Pennsylvania I-295 approach. UPDATE: This closure has been extended to end on or about Nov. 5. The closure is allowing for completion of a new pedestrian crossing over the canal towpath near the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission’s 1799 House comfort station Woodside Road in Lower Makefield, PA.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Possible closures/stoppages in the area of where the towpath crosses beneath NJ Route 29 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays to mid-November.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.