SCUDDER FALLS – Construction activities and some short-term travel restrictions for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project are scheduled to resume on January 3, 2022.
The project reached the “substantial completion” mark in mid-December, bringing to a close all long-term uninterrupted lane and ramp closures. Only short-term travel restrictions are expected to be needed to complete remaining project tasks. The project is expected to achieve final completion in late May.
Project tasks scheduled for the upcoming week include:
- Continue work in the vicinity of Pennsylvania’s Welcome Center along I-295 West;
- Reinstall, test and reactivate Intelligent Traffic System and Electronic Surveillance System apparatus at various locations in New Jersey and Pennsylvania;
- Landscaping, guiderail, and rip-rap along Route 29 South in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge;
- Conduct punch-list work at various bridges and the Scudder Falls Shared Use Path ;
- Perform storm-damage repairs, remove storm debris, and continue work-platform removal on the bridge’s Pennsylvania side;
- Possible work on the upstream bridge’s storm-water downspout.
Only one significant travel restriction is expected next week in the project area: the NJ Route 29 southbound bypass lane is scheduled to be closed noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 3; and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 4, to Friday, Jan. 7. Affected traffic routed through the nearby roundabouts at the I-295/Route 29 interchange. Travel impacts are not anticipated.
Meanwhile, single travel lane closures are possible along both directions of I-295 on the bridge and on its New Jersey and Pennsylvania approaches noon to 5 p.m. Monday; and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Friday.
Other possible travel restrictions are as follows:
- Taylorsville Road – Right or left lane closures and/or flagging noon Monday to 6 a.m. Tuesday; and 9 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Tuesday to Friday.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages for removal of in-river work platform noon to 5 p.m. Monday; and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Friday.
New Jersey side
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Daytime closures with traffic diverted through adjacent interchange roundabouts, connector lane and ramps, noon to 5 p.m. Monday; and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, to Friday.
- Route 29 NB Bypass Lane – Possible short-term flagging and stoppages noon to 5 p.m. Monday; and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Friday.
All aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Weekends – No project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekends of Jan. 1-2 and 8-9.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.