EWING, N.J. – Several ramp closures are scheduled to be implemented weeknights for up to two weeks at the I-295/NJ Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) to allow for installation of underdeck and overhang shielding beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s second (downstream) span that is expected to open to traffic later this summer, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The ramp closures will affect a series of travel movements at the interchange, but only during overnight hours when traffic volumes are at their lowest. Detours will be posted for each respective travel movement that will be impacted.
The two connector ramps that travel beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge to connect the interchange’s two New Jersey roundabouts are scheduled to be closed 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday through Friday starting Monday, May 3. Five travel movements at the interchange will be detoured:
- NJ Route 29 Southbound approaching the I-295 interchange – Traffic will be diverted around the interchange via nearby Route 175/Upper River Road and West Upper Ferry Road for reconnection with Route 29 southbound below the interchange.
- NJ Route 29 Southbound connection to I-295 Southbound — Traffic will be diverted around the interchange via nearby Route 175/Upper River Road and West Upper Ferry Road; turn right at the intersection of West Upper Ferry Road and Route 29, proceeding on Route 29 northbound for the entry ramp onto I-295 SB.
- NJ Route 29 Northbound connection to I-295 NB/WB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Approaching the interchange’s southern roundabout, bear right onto the entry ramp to I-295 Southbound, proceed about two miles to the Scotch Road interchange and take the ramp marked Exit 73-A, proceed north across I-295 bearing right for the entry ramp onto I-295 NB for travel to the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge where the highway becomes I-295WB upon entering Pennsylvania.
- I-295 Northbound connection to Route 29 Southbound – After exiting I-295 (Exit 76), proceed toward Route 29 Northbound, take the first left turn at Bernards Drive (Scudder Falls Recreation Area), proceed to the stop sign and make an immediate left onto Route 175/Upper River Road, turn right at the T-intersection with West Upper Ferry, proceed to the traffic light at Route 29, and turn left on the signal for Route 29 Southbound for travel toward Trenton.
- I-295 Eastbound/Southbound connection for Route 29 Northbound – After crossing the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge from Pennsylvania into New Jersey, continue south on I-295 past Exit 76, proceed about two miles to the Scotch Road interchange and take the ramp marked Exit 73-A, proceed north across I-295 bearing right for the entry ramp onto I-295 NB for travel back toward the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge, take exit ramp for Route 29 (Exit 76) and follow the signs at the roundabout for Route 29 Northbound toward Washington Crossing and Lambertville.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.