EWING, NJ – NJ Route 29 South in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge will be closed and detoured to nearby NJ Route 175/River Road during overnight hours next week, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
Additionally, at the end of the project limits in New Jersey, the on-ramp from County Route 179 South (Bear Tavern Road) to I-295 North will be closed and detoured during overnight hours.
The overnight closure at Route 29 South is need to allow for installation of concrete curbs on the upstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76), which is now being realigned and reconstructed. The overnight closure of the I-295 North entry ramp from CR-579/Bear Tavern Road (Exit 75) is needed to allow for drainage work at that location.
The implementation times, detour routes and corresponding maps may be found in the full schedule of project-related travel restrictions for the week of June 9 as follows:
New Jersey side
- Route 29 SB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Overnight closure with posted detour via nearby NJ Route 175/River Road 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, June 10, through Friday, June 14. — (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BROWN DETOUR MAP)
- CR 579/Bear Tavern Road SB on-ramp to I-295 NB – Overnight closure with posted detour via nearby I-295/Scotch Road interchange (Exit 73A) 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day), Monday, June 10, through Thursday, June 13; 10 p.m. Friday, June 14, to 7 a.m. Saturday, June, 15, and 10 p.m. Saturday, June 15, to 8 a.m. Sunday, June 16 – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW PINK DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge from New Jersey to Pennsylvania – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel patterns 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, June 10, through Friday, June 14.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until later in June:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
- Route 175/Upper River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
- Taylorsville Road Access Ramp to I-295 WB (old I-95 SB) – A six-week, around-the-clock closure remains in effect until after Independence Day, July 4. Posted detour: Proceed to the on-ramp for I-295 South toward New Jersey, cross the Scudder Falls Bridge and continue on I-295 South to the Scotch Road interchange (Exit 73A), use the loop ramps to cross over I-295 and enter I-295 North back toward the bridge, and cross the Scudder Falls Bridge into Pennsylvania where the highway designation changes to I-295 West toward Philadelphia. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW PURPLE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 WB from the bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley Road interchange (Exit 8) – Off-peak Intermittent single-lane travel – if needed for construction – 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, June 10, to Friday, June 14.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
- NJ side – Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey to continue through June. Open weekends.
- PA side – Open – intermittent closures expected to resume in mid-June.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.