EWING, NJ –NJ Route 29 southbound will be detoured to nearby Route 175 round-the-clock next week on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The extended detour is scheduled to begin 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, and remain in place through the following weekend until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28. During this time, the slip ramp to Route 29 south from I-295 north (old I-95 south) will also be closed at (Exit 76, old exit 1). The I-295 north exit ramp will remain open only for Route 29 north and detour purposes.
A map of the lane closure and corresponding detour along Route 175/River Road in Ewing, N.J. is attached (SEE ORANGE MAP DETOUR HERE). A detour map for the closure of the I-295 north ramp to Route 29 south also is attached (SEE YELLOW MAP DETOUR HERE).
These travel restrictions will allow for drainage work along Route 29 and for a resumption of steel girder installation work on the upstream span of the Scudder Falls Replacement Bridge now under construction.
The remaining project-related travel restrictions for the week of August 19 are as follows:
New Jersey side
- Route 175 on-ramp ramp to I-295 south– OVERNIGHT closure posted detour via West Upper Ferry Road to I-295 north on-ramp at Bear Tavern Road/County Route 579 interchange (exit 75/old exit 2) 10 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20, to 6 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21. (SEE PINK MAP DETOUR HERE)
- I-295 east (old I-95 north) from the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 8, old exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge– Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 20, through Friday, Aug. 24.
- I-295 west (old I-95 south) from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 8, old edit 49)– Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 8 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 20, through Friday, Aug. 24.
- Taylorsville Road in vicinity of I-295– Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20, to Friday, Aug. 24.
- Woodside Road (west of Taylorsville Road to around Clearview Drive)– Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20, to Friday, Aug. 24.
- River Road/Route 32– Intermittent alternating single-lane travel with traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20, to Friday, Aug. 24.
Weekends: Aside from previously announced overnight closures of the I-295 EB/SB exit ramp to Route 29 NB & SB and NJ Route 29 NB access ramp for I-295 EB/SB 10 p.m. Aug. 17 to 7 a.m. Aug. 18 (reschedule date night of Aug. 18 in event of rain), no other travel restrictions are scheduled for the weekends of 18-19 and 25-26.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath on NJ side of Scudder Falls Bridge:The towpath will be closed and barricaded to ensure public safety during construction activities in the vicinity of the canal 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Wednesday, Aug. 22, to Wednesday, Aug. 29 (except Sunday, Aug. 26, OPEN). Note: weather and work progress permitting, the towpath closure for Saturday, Aug. 25, may be cancelled.
Delaware Canal Towpath on PA side of Scudder Falls Bridge:The towpath for the Delaware Canal in Pennsylvania remains closed around the clock Mondays through Saturdays in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project construction zone (from Woodside Road to the southern project limits). Public access is Sundays-only through August.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materialsmobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com