A series of temporary ramp relocations in the vicinity of the I-95/Route 29 interchange (Exit 1) on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge will be implemented tomorrow, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The relocation work will affect traffic using the I-95 northbound exit ramp to NJ Route 29 southbound. The work is scheduled to be implemented between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 16.
The temporary ramp relocation will allow for construction of new roundabouts as part of the interchange reconstruction that is a major facet of the multi-faceted, 4-1/2-year Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project. Travel impacts – if any – from Saturday’s ramp relocation work are expected to be minor.
Meanwhile, the following travel restrictions are scheduled for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project during the week of Sept. 17:
- I-95 north from the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge – intermittent single-lane travel configurations 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Monday, Sept. 18 through Friday, Sept. 22.
- I-95 south from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (exit 49) – intermittent single-lane travel configurations 8 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Sept. 18 through Friday, Sept. 22.
- Woodside Road west of Taylorsville Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel controlled by flaggers 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Sept. 18 to Friday, Sept. 22.
- River Road/Route 32 – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Sept. 18 to Friday, Sept. 22.
- Rte. 332/Newtown-Yardley ramp to I-95 north – Narrowed lane with mandatory stop, 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Monday, Sept. 18 to Friday, Sept. 22.
New Jersey side
- Route 175/River Road – Possible alternating single-lane travel in the vicinity of the I-95 approach overpass to the Scudder Falls Bridge 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday, Sept. 18 to Friday, Sept. 22.
Weekends: No project-related lane closures are currently scheduled for Sept. 16-17 and Sept. 23-24.
The scheduled travel restrictions listed above are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and project mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds, and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Project Construction Update
Construction activities related to the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project continue to progress at multiple work sites within the 4.4 project area between two states. The preponderance of work is taking place during daytime hours, but some activities must be conducted during nighttime hours due to traffic/safety or scheduling considerations.
The most significant nighttime work is currently taking place at the New Jersey landing area for the upstream span of the new Scudder Falls Bridge. The work involves vibration driving of piling of the coffer dam for new bridge’s land-based pier as well as a variety of other activities, such as structural welding. Noise-intensive work that had been taking place until 2 a.m. has now been scaled back and is now permitted from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Project construction locations and progress are as follows:
- Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) – Excavation and construction of storm-water retention basin with corresponding drainage and erosion-control devices in the sprawling infield of the northbound I-95 exit ramp.
- I-95 northbound PA segment – Installation and anchoring of concrete construction barrier along entire left side of shifted traffic pattern.
- PA I-95 highway median – Removal of top soil and early-stage excavation for areas needing retaining wall.
- Taylorsville Road/Yardley-New Hope interchange (Exit 51) – Temporary entry lane from Taylorsville Road southbound to I-95 north in effect; drainage basin construction.
- Woodside Road (Lower Makefield, PA) – Top soil removal and excavation for roadway widening west of Taylorsville Road.
- Pennsylvania side of replacement bridge (vicinity of River and Woodside roads) – Continuing construction of bulkhead/launching point for temporary trestle causeway that will be used to install temporary cofferdams for new bridge piers in the Delaware River; mobilizing materials and equipment for Pennsylvania trestle causeway, the Pennsylvania abutment for the upstream span of the replacement bridge and exit ramp piers; installing drilled shafts and steel piles for abutment and piers.
- New Jersey side of replacement bridge – Land-based portion of temporary trestle causeway nearing completion; mobilizing equipment and materials for extending trestle causeway into the river and installing cofferdam for land-based New Jersey pier; and mobilize for support of excavation and piling at the New Jersey abutment for upstream span of the new bridge.
- I-95/Route 29 interchange (Exit 1) – Earthwork activities for various temporary ramps and install temporary drainage and erosion-control devices at various locations within in the interchange.
- Route 175/River Road (Ewing, NJ) – Utility relocation work in the vicinity of the I-95 approach bridge to the current Scudder Falls Bridge and the nearby onramp to I-95 northbound.
- I-95 southbound NJ segment – Excavation/drilling work for additional noise-abatement walls along the roadway.