DRJTBC - Toll Supported Bridges
In the years 1912 and 1913 the two states created the "Joint Commission for the Acquisition of the Various Toll Bridges over the Delaware River between the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey". This new body acquired 16 bridges, freed them of tolls, and operated the bridges with tax funds provided by the legislature. In order to insure that the need for future river crossings could be met, legislation enacted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey in 1934 created the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission. The Commission operates under a compact that was approved by the United States Congress in August 1935. A major change to the bi-state compact came in 1984 when the two states charged the Commission with assuming full financial responsibility for the non-toll bridges within its jurisdiction. Prior to that time, the costs of operating and maintaining the non-toll bridges were financed by appropriations from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey through state levied taxes. Since toll revenues currently provide the sole source of support, the Commission now refers to these bridges as toll supported bridges.
COMMISSION AWARDS TREE-CLEARING CONTRACT FOR SCUDDER FALLS BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT