DRJTBC - Riverton-Belvidere Toll Supported Bridge Rehabilitation
Riverton-Belvidere Bridge Rehabilitation
In August 2007, the Commission celebrated the rededication of the Riverton-Belvidere Toll Supported Bridge, marking the successful completion of the 103-year-old span's $8.8 million rehabilitation. The Riverton-Belvidere Toll Supported Bridge was the seventh bridge to be rehabilitated under the agency's comprehensive capital improvement program which has a four-pronged focus on system preservation, management, security and enhancement.The rehabilitation, which began in October 2006, extends the useful life of the bridge, with the goal of avoiding any major repairs or rehabilitation that require extended bridge closures for at least the next 15 years. The project addressed the deteriorating condition of the bridge and included replacing the floor system, sidewalk and railing; replacing or repairing deteriorated steel members; blast cleaning and painting existing steel members; performing necessary substructure repairs; rehabilitating the approach roadway; upgrading the lighting systems and signing, and improving the officer's shelter.
The Commission worked closely with the communities of Belvidere in New Jersey and Lower Mount Bethel in Pennsylvania to mitigate the impact of the rehabilitation project. Together with its community partners, the Commission established a construction schedule that balanced the needs of the needs of the local merchants with the needs of commuters that rely on the bridge every day.
Under that schedule, the bridge closed at 9 p.m. on Saturdays and reopened at 5 a.m. on Tuesdays starting in October 2006. The Commission also suspended construction during the holiday season to accommodate businesses and visitors. The bridge reopened to weekend traffic on July 17, 2007.
The Riverton-Belvidere Toll-Supported Bridge carries Water Street across the Delaware River and connects Riverton, Lower Mount Bethel Township, Pa. with the town of Belvidere, N.J. The original bridge at this site was a covered, wooden structure of arch pattern. During the flood of Oct.10, 1903, the superstructure was carried away and the present steel structure was erected.
The existing bridge, constructed in 1904, is a four-span, riveted steel, double Warren truss structure, with a total length of 653 feet. The steel open-grate deck as rehabilitated provides a clear roadway width of 16 feet 8 inches between new tri-beam railings. In addition, the newly installed concrete sidewalk is supported on the upriver truss with steel cantilever brackets.
TRAVEL DELAYS POSSIBLE DURING PEAK PERIODS AT I-78 TOLL PLAZA DUE TO DAMAGE CAUSED BY TUESDAY AFTERNOON TRUCK CRASH