Washington Crossing Toll Supported Bridge
On February 14, 1831, an act was passed by the New Jersey Legislature and concurred by the Pennsylvania Legislature, creating the Taylorsville Delaware Bridge Company. By the provisions of this act, the bridge was to be located at Taylor's Ferry. The first bridge was built of timber and remained in service until it was swept away by the flood of January 8, 1841. A replacement bridge was constructed shortly thereafter and it remained in service until the superstructure was carried away by the flood of October 10, 1903.
The superstructure of the existing bridge, which connects County Route 546 in Hopewell Township, New Jersey with PA Route 532 in Upper Makefield Township, Pennsylvania, was built in 1904. The bridge is a six-span double Warren truss structure, with a total length of 877 feet. The substructures, composed of rubble stone-faced masonry, are from the original construction in 1831. The open steel grid deck provides a clear roadway width of 15 feet between steel channel rub-rails. The downriver side of the truss supports a cantilevered, wood planked pedestrian sidewalk.
The flood of August 19, 1955 did considerable damage to the bridge. Floating debris in the form of whole trees, steel barrels and even houses, smashed against the bridge resulting in damage to all 6 spans. More than half of all the bottom chords of the bridge were bent, torn and twisted beyond ever being straightened. These members were replaced with new fabricated steel members and the bridge was reopened to traffic on November 17, 1955.
60 YEARS AGO TOMORROW, WORST DELAWARE RIVER FLOOD IN HISTORY DESTROYED FOUR COMMISSION BRIDGES